Monday, October 1, 2007

Signs O Change


Well folks, it's been a busy weekend in Peterborough. Once again the Trentwinds Conference Centre has been hopping 24/7. You remember the Trentwinds, home of Thursdays where you can get down with "ice cold beer lots girls"?
First and foremost this multi-faceted venue hosted a bridal show on Friday night. Cheap signs lined the boulevards in and around Peterborough all week, calling out to bride-zillas everywhere to come and get some great ideas for centrepieces...you know the ones you can always use again! As you can see the sign mavens at the Trentwinds had to squeeze a rather elongated "R" into the word Bridal to get the message out. Actually I think it might be an 8 that they worked their magic on. Just seeing this sign alone made me want to camp out over night so I could get through the doors first! Wow can you say Poppin' with Pizzaz!
All night long, the floor of the International Ballroom (I kid you not - that is the name of the main room) was draped with party favours, wedding gowns and cooing brides to be.


A mere 24 hours later after bridal dreams were fulfilled the owners were prepping for the
main event...Live Amateur Boxing.
The promoters obviously brought in their own sign, not willing to leave anything to chance, for the occasion.
Yes kids from bridal show to boxing. Just think while all of this was going on...a bevy of beauties were shakin' their money makers out back at Thursdays (where I imagine they benefited from the 600 attendees of the boxing match after the final bout).
I checked out the final results in the Peterborough Examiner. There was a short interview with one of the boxers a Timo (TNT) Smith who hails from the small town of Bethany South West of Peterborough. He was pretty pumped about winning a victory in his hometown - wait a minute isn't he from Bethany? And I quote...
“It was in my hometown and it was a big deal to have everyone come out for me,” Smith said. “Everywhere else I just care about my performance. As long as I put on a good performance I don’t care about the decision, unless I get totally ripped off but when it’s here, I really, really hope I pull it off.”
So is he saying he didn't bring his "A game" to Peterborough? I'm confused.
Oh well my main point is that it's hard to believe that a venue can go from satin and taffeta to head shots and lost teeth within the span of 24 hours. But then again many weddings go down that road as soon as the toasts are done, so maybe the Trentwinds has got it right?
I'll ponder that when I'm slow dancing with Jolene at his company Christmas party on the dancefloor of the International Ball Room at the Trentwinds in December.

3 comments:

Christine Ott said...

Dude, wouldn't it be awesome if the boxing group came back at the same time as Jolene's company Christmas Party? Wait, wait, it would be better if it was some hockey gear convention. Y'all would get likkered up and start a brawl! You Canadians love a good brawl, dontcha??

G Spot said...

Those brides are likely all former strippers as are the boxers. Everybody who lives in PeterPatch is a stripper or indecent in some way!
G Spot on the Downhigh

Mistër Cleän said...

Do you work for the Greater Peterborough Metropolitan Region Convention and Visitors' Bureau/Bureau des Conventions et Visiteurs du Gran Peterborough?

If not, you should!

I really did Mrs. Clean and I a great disservice by honeymooning in Europe. She should leave me.