Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Signs of Peterborough Volume I

What can I say, I dig Peterborough. I've lived in bigger cities that claim to have more culture, but you need only take a leisurely cruise around town in your car, on your bike or using the ankle express to see the awesome culture we have to offer. Sure you can go to the festival of lights, or take in some entertainment at Showplace or Artspace, whatever floats your boat.
Personally, I like to get down and talk to the people outside the Sherbrooke Street liquor store and take candid shots (with my camera) of the underappreciated aspects of this great borough.
When you're entering Peterborough from points east such as, Norwood, Havelock, Ottawa etc. you will be welcomed by the customary signs that inhabit the outskirts of any great mecca. You will learn our population, where to find our main attractions like the Liftlocks, Trent University and even the Zoo. If you're paying attention you may even learn where some
Old Testament daughters have come to roost. To get the full story on Lot and his daughters check out the condensed version at Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_(Bible)
Truthfully, this sign adorns a local establishment called the Trentwinds Hotel and Conference Centre. The Trentwinds hosts Christmas parties, weddings, various conferences and several well attended craft shows. Oh and female strippers.
If memory serves...it was called the Miss Diana when I was in high school. Loverboy, Platinum Blonde and other fab Canadian bands adorned the stage in the 80's and 90's. Though the name has changed, and the venue has undergone some transformation...the one constant has been strippers. When it was the Miss Diana we called it the "Inner thighs". I'm not knocking this noble profession, do what you've got to do. Live and let live. But what happened to that magical connecting word....OF? I guess if you're really all about beer and biblical babes you get the message loud and clear. Be here at 11:30AM and run a tab.
I took this picture last week. I also have a picture of this very same sign taken with my old 35mm camera....um about 4 years ago. The only thing that has changed about this sign is that the broken shards of the Thursdays sign were cleared out...I'm assuming with a long stick?
I've also included a picture of the opposite side of the sign. Sadly this is the side of the sign you see when you are leaving Peterborough heading East. Without the fab yellow arrow directing passersby on the incoming side, many must sail on by, unsatisfied craving ice cold beer and a pre-historic skin show. The West side of the sign boasts a 5 for the second S in Thursdays and a rather ambiguous opening time :30AM. The beer is merely cold, not ice cold.
I know it's a pretty awesome sign.
So remember folks, the next time you're perusing the craft show or watching the happy couple enjoy their first dance together, out back, a mere puddle jump away "Lots Girls" are plying their craft.
Stay tuned for more signs of Peterborough.
B-spot out!



6 comments:

G Spot said...

B Spot, I once saw a girl walk across the stage just using the cheeks of her arse. It was quite something. It was sometime in 1995 I think. I often wonder if she made it where she was going. Or perhaps she is lurking in the woods somewhere around the Liftlocks. If you see any grass that is split like a mohawk, I say beware! G Spot on the Downhigh.

Brendage said...

I see you remember the tale of "Mohawk Annie". She was around before the pole dance was invented. A true innovator with an ass like a steel drum. What a peeler!

Mistër Cleän said...

Peterborough seems pretty bad-ass. As you know, Trenton is pretty bad-ass, too. My question to you: If Trenton got in a fight with Peterborough, who would kick whose ass?

Since we ARE talking about Trenton, some ground rules: Trenton can't use guns, and Trenton can't bring five other Trentons along to help jump Peterborough from behind and kick it while it's down.

"Trenton: We'll Never Let You Down"

Representin' da Six-Eleven... OUT!

Brendage said...

Well like all great battles it has to do with timing. If Trenton was to roll in before Peterborough had it's morning java we probably wouldn't take the attack seriously enough, Trenton would lose interest and go kick Oshawa's ass (armpit of a city further West). However, if Trenton were to wait for Peterborough outside local bars - Sin City, Trasheteria, The Vibe and The Junction on Saturday night - after last call Peterborough would take the call to arms seriously. No guns, just steel toed boats and old fashioned stupidity and gumption. Trenton wouldn't know what hit it. Dangle a half eaten Mr. Bob's pizza in front of Peterborough and Trenton would be going home in a coffee can. When Peterboroughtonians get drunk, we'ez get crunk boyz!

lou said...

Hi, I sent you a note this afternoon, but I had just registered on the site and I wasn't sure if you received my request. So, here it is again.

I was looking for someone who was working at Miss Diana in 1990. If I can challenge your memory, please let me know. Thanks.

Brendage said...

Sorry, I didn't work there so I don't think I can help you with that.